Chest Pain When Breathing Deeply | Causes, Treatment
In simple words, chest pain is the presence of pain anywhere in the chest. Making it more complex, chest pain can be caused by variety of reasons ranging from heart issues, lung issues, even bone (cartilages) problems. Sometimes, nothing occurs in chest but the pain is perceived to be coming from chest. Like when you have heartburn or acidity in stomach, there may be burning sensation in the chest. chest pain when breathing deeply
This article is intended to provide you with basic knowledge of chest pain and its type.
Firstly, I want to say you that chest pain can be from any part/organ which
Organs and parts of chest
- Heart and blood vessels
- Lungs and respiratory canals
- Issues from coverings of Heart or Lungs
- Part of esophagus (food pipe, through which the food reaches stomach from mouth)
- Big arteries
- Cartilages (Rib cage)
- Breast ( in females well developed and prominent; in males rudimentary)
- Nerves present in the chest
- Muscles present in the chest
- Pain from organs of abdomen like pancreas, stomach, liver, gall bladder, etc
- Endocrine problems
- Lymphatics problems
The above list is little technical which is difficult to understand and interpret. Having said that, you can’t understand from where the chest pain is coming. But what you should do or the doctor may ask you is the nature of chest pain. Whether the chest pain is sharp, dull, burning, aching, stabbing, tight/squeezing/crushing, even variable. It is also crucial to inform the
Most infection affect the chest including upper respiratory tract. So, you can understand from all these descriptions, that, chest pain can be from wide range of causes. Chest pain does not only mean heart issues, they can be due to many causes including breathing problem, bone problem, even gastric or digestive problem.
There is an idea in
- Is the pain related to
- Is the pain always present or subsides?
- How is the pain? Is it stabbing, throughout the chest, pointed, burning, etc?
- When did the pain start and how long it lasts?
- How many times in a day or at what particular time it occurs?
- Does the pain
movesfrom one particular place to another?
If the pain is related to
Sharp pain starts in
If the chest pain is related to meal taken. For example, if you are hungry, there is
The chest has skeletal muscle. If these muscles experiences injury, tear, attacked by any disease, can be painful.
Any issue arising from lungs like infection lung tissue diseases. The bag that contains the lungs may also have infection or tear. Even there may be fluid or blood accumulation between the walls of the bag and lungs. The air pipe through which the air you breathe reaches the lungs, may get constricted (as in asthma) or may get torn, can be painful. There may be inflammation of the air pipe. But these cases will be accompanied by cough, breathing troubles, sputum expulsion, even blood vomiting.
There may be psychological problems also. Anxiety and depression evidently may leads to chest pain.
So what you can understand from this, is the chest pain can occur due to several causes and the doctor has to find the underlying cause by means of diagnostic tests.
If you have chest pain and you visit the doctor, you should report him/her about:
- The Pain type
- The time of day when the pain occurs
- Digestive problem
- Respiratory or breathing problem
- Neck ache
- Swollen feet
There can be several tests that your doctor can give:
- Electrocardiography or ECG show you the electrical activity of heart
- Doppler Mode Ultrasound shows you the status or function of blood vessels.
- Chest X-Ray reveals any structural problem like size, position, accumulation of fluid, etc, in the chest. It also shows the fracture of ribs. It also shows the lungs, their sizes and any abnormality if present.
- Endoscopy reveals any tear, constriction, structural issues in the food pipe present in chest and also in abdomen.
- Blood Tests shows the status of the blood cells, several protein levels, etc. If anything happens anywhere in your body (including infection), the blood tests mostly come abnormal.
There are more and more tests available and new tests are coming. The above list is too short and the most common tests that can be given.
- Sharp and severe pain in the left: You must go to a clinic/nursing home/hospital for this. Even a doctor does not have the machines or infrastructure to investigate and manage this.
- Burning Sensation after meal: Take antacid like Aluminium Hydroxide or Magnesium Hydroxide. If this happens to you everyday, consider taking H2 blocker of Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) 15 minutes before the each meal.
- If chest pain due to cold and cough, consider taking an antibiotic. Professional prescription is highly suggested.
- If there is too much pain, for a primary management, you can also take aspirin. You can also read about.
- If there is sputum coming out or blood, consider going to a physician without any delay.
- Also you must take care of your weight. Weight Loss is one of the best preventive care for cardiovascular problems.
In every case, you must get to know if anything is wrong inside. So, you must give a visit to a physician. There is no alternative choice. But for the first management, you may do the above things.
Get tuned with MedBlog18 to keep your Health Fit.